Tuesday, August 22, 2006

DeLux Burger Bar


My in-laws, Hubbs & I had a chance to dine at Delux Burger Bar on the weekend. We had heard great things about the place (reviews in the paper and by Wacky), plus we knew that this eatery was owned by the same people who run LUX. Needless to say, our expectations were pretty high.

And Delux did not disappoint. Though we didn't have a reservation, we managed to get seated in a booth upon arrival. The server came by right away to get drink orders, and their drink menu was pretty large. I opted for the virgin strawberry smoothie, which turned out to be quite thick and also very tasty (although perhaps a tad heavy for a burger meal). Though their actual dining menu was small, limited to burgers and salads and apps (plus a children's menu), we found exactly what we wanted. Our table shared an order of lobster nachos, and then Hubbs & Dad E. ordered ahi-tuna burgers while Mom E. & I shared an urban burger(a regular cheeseburger) and their deluxe signature salad.


Looking around, I noted that the decor was very much in a funky diner style, with lots of teal blue and dark browns. The patio looked very inviting, though we stayed inside where the place was adorned with both booths and tables. The bathrooms at Delux were admittedly a bit strange - they were single-toilet washrooms that shared an area for washing your hands; that is, the men's room and ladies' room faced each other, and in between were two sinks. It was a tad inconvenient when I *really* needed to use the washroom and it was occupied, but I was appeased when I saw the nice TV built into the wall inside the bathroom. Impressive, non?


We didn't even notice the time fly by and our app was alread served. Though the size of the nacho platter wasn't huge, it was a sufficient portion for 4 (although better shared by 2). As requested, Mom E.'s and my food was divided into two portions and plated separately for service, which prevented us from having to do the messy deed of cutting up the burger and divvying up the salad. Dad E. & Hubbs both very much enjoyed their large burgers, as evidenced by the fact that they ate all of it. My burger tasted pretty standard, although I must confess that in my bid to reduce carbs, I pretty much ate just the middle and left the bun. The salad was *amazing,* however, and I ate every last morsel of it. As described by the menu, it consisted of, "fresh lobster, mandarin and apple segments, candied pecans, grapes, and butterleaf lettuce with a tangy orange dressing." The dressing wasn't too heavy or too tangy, and perfectly complemented the fruit.


We didn't get a chance to try their sweet potato fries (or their regular fries) since we were so full, but you'd better believe I will be ordering that the next time I'm there =D As we observed, these fries are usually served in shopping carts. Another cool touch!

Instead, we asked for the bill, which came alongside a small tower of cotton candy. It was the perfect end to a fun and enjoyable meal, and a total throwback to my younger years.

Overall, the service was good, the price was decent ($12-15 for the burger, $3-6 for the fries), and the food was fabulous. I loved the funkiness of the ambience at Delux, and recommend this burger joint to anyone who prefers upscale burger dining.


Rating: 10 / 10

No comments: