Wednesday, March 25, 2009


We finally caved and went to White Spot.  There's one near our place en route to the gym, and we pass by it nearly every day, but we have never set foot inside that restaurant.  Instead, we ended up at the North Van White Spot after a trip to Wal-mart (did you know there's one at Capilano Mall)?  We decided to give it a try because someone told us that the White Spots are better in BC than they are in AB.  Both Hubbs & I did not enjoy our visit to White Spot Edmonton many years ago, so we were a bit wary of dining at a WS in Van, even if it was for lunch (less commitment and cost than dinner).

Anyway, it was a late Sunday lunch, and Hubbs was feeling pretty tired, so we weren't in a particularly foodie mood.  Hubbs selected their seafood risotto and I ordered the turkey club on whole wheat, with sweet potato fries.  The server was competent and quick, and the restaurant was super quiet so late in the afternoon, so we got our food quickly.  Hubbs' risotto was cheesy and hearty and pretty loaded down with seafood, which justified its higher price ($18?).  My club sandwich was *huge* and I couldn't actually fit my large mouth around it, so I had to eat it in layers and leave half my bread at the end of the meal.  The bacon was meh, but the turkey was uber-tasty and moist.  The sweet potato fries were awesome, though, made moreso by the chipotle dip that accompanied it.  That was my meal highlight.

For a cheap dinner (or a pricier lunch), White Spot as a place is pretty good.  It is certainly better than the White Spot in E-town, and I was actually a little surprised at how pleasant my dining experience was.  I thought it was going to be more like a Smitty's, but I'm glad it was a half-step up from that.


Service: 3.5 out of 5

Food: 3.5 out of 5



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to the one on Calgary Trail a month or so ago and I only thought it was meh...the service was okay (though they screwed up my order, but then discounted $2 from our bill as a result of forgetting the bacon on my sandwich)...and the food was meh. Not a huge fan myself.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

We may have lucked out then, going to the one in North Van. Sorry to hear your WS experience was meh, VC!