Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lombardo's Pizza


We were initially going to go for Thai food.  Then it was changed to French (my idea), then Hubbs thought better and declared it an Italian night.  I grudgingly agreed, the grudging made moreso when Hubbs took me on a "scenic route" down Burrard St. before bringing me to Lombardo's.  I didn't quite appreciate the two scraggly folks yelling, "F*** off!" and "F*** you!" to each other at the bus stop on Burrard.  It was sketchy and scary to me (Hubbs says I've become spoiled).

Anyway, the place was crowded when we arrived, and we snagged their last table.  We totally would've made a reso if they would have accepted one, but thankfully our timing was fortuitous since they don't.  We were led up to a tiny 2-top on the 3rd floor (well, 2nd floor but they also have tables on the landing half-way up the stairs).  Shortly after being seated, as in 30 seconds, we were asked for a drink order.  I had ice tea.  

Then, down to the ordering.  Of course I was going to have pizza, though Hubbs was torn between pizza and pasta.  He eventually caved in to my insistence that previous reviewers liked the pizza more, and ordered himself a Salmone pizza.  I had the Al Due Formaggi.  We also shared calamari to start. 

Given how full the place was, we were pleasantly surprised to see that our appies came quickly.  The dip with the calamari was super yummy, though I wasn't fond of the tubular nature of their squid.  I liked the tentacles the best. :)  The wait for the pizza was a little longer, but still within the realm of reasonable.  Hubbs loved his pizza, while I liked mine.  Maybe it was the tomatoes, but my pizza was soggy in the middle, to the point of forming a wet puddle in the middle of my plate.  I ended up having to sop up some of the liquid with my napkin (gross!), and even then I found my pie lacking in crust crispiness.

After our meal was done, we shared a tiramisu.  That was my favourite part of the night; the creamy whipped goodness in this dessert was enough to make me melt.  Better yet, the tiramisu wasn't overloaded with ladyfingers, which I like but not in excess.  I say, bring on the sugary marscapone cream!  Hubbs had insisted that I actually eat half of the dessert (which I don't always do), and this time I gladly complied.

The bill at the end of the night was respectable, though I was a bit chuffed that when I asked our server to break my $20 for me, she ended up bringing back two $10's and claming that she couldn't get anyone to break it down any further.  Say what?!  What sort of restaurant doesn't have a float?  What sort of restaurant can't give me a $5 and some change?!?  WTF.  I wasn't too pleased with her for that.

All in all, in the end I had a decently good meal, so I didn't give Hubbs the gears too much about choosing Italian over French (I wanted to head to Les Faux Bourgeois).  I get to pick our next major dine-out though, so I'm going to make sure it's a place that can make change and doesn't sog-out on the pizza.

Service: 3 out of 5

Food: 3.5 out of 5 (4 out of 5 on the tiramisu)





No comments: