Sunday, April 19, 2009

Blue Water Cafe


So I can't believe I never posted a review of the Blue Water Cafe (before today, that is).  It is a personal favourite of Hubbs and I and we've been here half a dozen times since his birthday 2 years ago.

Anyway, our most recent visit happened while my Superstar Jo sister and SpaceMax bro-in-law were in town.  We made our reservations early and they had a booth lined up for us upon arrival.  Our server was awesome, timely, and friendly.  When my sis & I wanted fruity non-boozy drinks, she had the bartender specially-design a citrus drink for Superstar Jo and the "Berrylicious" bevvie for me.

The three of them ordered our usual favourite, the "Seafood Tower" while I opted for the beef tenderloin (due to shellfish sensitivities).  We also went with some starters: hot & sour lobster soup for Hubbs and duck confit salad for the rest of us.  Hubbs loved his soup and I quite enjoyed my appie, although I would have preferred a crispier skin on the duck.

Next up were our mains.  This is a small pic of the seafood tower; I took this pic on our first visit to Blue Water but you get the idea.


There was actually a *process* to putting down the eating tools for this thing.  It's quite an exhibit, really, and fun to watch and experience.  During our most recent visit, the Dungeness crab on the top tier was replaced with a 1-pound lobster.  There was also a jellyfish salad on the bottom tier that was once a little plate of escargot (in shell).  Aside from a few minor changes like that, the tower was essentially the same as ever, and (according to my fellow diners) as fresh and decadent as ever.

My tenderloin was perfectly seared and very tasty.  I particularly like macaroni-and-blue-cheese accompaniment that comes with the tenderloin.  It is rich and creamy, flavourful and indulgent.

After our mains, we decided to stay for dessert; in the past, we've sometimes opted to go elsewhere just to experience a different, more casual setting, but on this night we chose to stay.  Hubbs had the profiteroles, which he proclaimed to be one of his new most favourite desserts.  I had the warm Cuban chocolate cake, which was rich and tasty but perhaps not quite warm enough.  Superstar Jo had the fruit brulee which I found to be a bit tart but I think she liked, while Space Max had the Mont Blanc, which I assume he also very much enjoyed since he announced he wasn't going to share with us (jokingly, of course). 

All in all it was another wonderful visit to Blue Water for us.  The price tag isn't cheap and the place is business-casual at the minimum, but you get what you pay for, and the dining experience is exquisite and a good way to impress a date or entertain business associates or celebrate special occasions.  We'll be back again, and likely soon.  We want every member of our immediate families to have a chance to experience the awesomeness that is the Blue Water Cafe; that's just how we roll.


Service: 5 out of 5

Food: 5 out of 5


No comments: