Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Vi's for Pies

My friend Lynn & I met up at Vi's for Pies to catch up yesterday evening. Having been to the little bistro-bakery with Mrs. Vinny on several previous occasions, I knew this would be a great evening.

The very clean, very eye-appealing atmosphere was simple and comfortable and well-lit with natural light. WIndows surrounded the entire restaurant. Although there were only a few tables in the small eatery, I saw several patrons come in and take-out their famous desserts without staying for dinner anyway. There was also a small patio that we did not check out, but that I eyed another set of diners sitting out on.

The menu was written on portable blackboards that were then set beside tables that had not yet ordered. Although the selection was limited, the fare of homestyle meals appealed to me. They had several types of "buns" (sandwiches), two soups, two salads, two appetizers, three feature entrees, and about six dinner entrees to choose from. While Lynn had the spanikopita, I chose the chicken cheddar salsa.

Service was relatively prompt; wait times for drinks and the bill were a tad longer than I would have expected, but given that this was likely a coffee-and-gossip sort of joint, I figured that they were used to giving their guests some extra talk time between everything. Our dinner came out quickly, though. My chicken cheddar salsa was, to my surprise, wrapped in phyllo pastry (like a spanikopita) and served with a green salad and full-fat Italian dressing. It tasted delicious and fresh, but since it was a pretty simple dish, it didn't have a lot of flair. I had initially contemplated ordering the shepherd's pie dinner, but when I considered that I wanted dessert, I was glad to have chosen a slightly lighter meal.

For dessert, both Lynn & I ordered the peanut butter mousse pie and coffee. The mousse pie was decadent, rich, delicious, and perfectly prepared, not to mention gigantic in size. In the end, I could only finish about half of it and had to pack the rest to take home. I was glad for the free coffee refills, because each delicious creamy bite needed to be chased down by a good sip of java to clear my palate in preparation for the next sensational bite.

Okay, so I am completely biased. I have always loved Vi's for Pies and their triple-layered uber-moist chocolate cake has been a favourite of mine for the past several years. This is definitely the bistro to go to when you need to grab dessert with a friend. The pies here are second-to-none, and the portions are impressive as well. The meals are well-prepared and reasonably-priced, but don't come to Vi's for Pies for the meals - skip them entirely and go straight to dessert; otherwise, you may not have room to finish your pie!

Rating: 10 / 10



No comments: