Monday, July 31, 2006

New Asian Village


I would like to preface this post by saying that I do not think my experience with New Asian Village tonight is indicative of their normal food and service quality. Tonight was a freakishly bad aberration from the norm.

We ordered via Dial-and-Dine, and though our order was promised to arrive within 80 minutes of our call, it actually took nearly 2 hours for it to be delivered. The reasons? A) The normal regular chef at the restaurant wasn't working, and the substitute chef was having some issues filling both the restaurant and the take-out orders, and B) supposedly there was a back-up in traffic on the bridge. To compensate for the huge delay, $10 was knocked off our bill, which we were satisfied with.

Our food had arrived to a very hungry me. Usually, when one is half-starved, the flavour of their food is enhanced proportionately to their level of starvation. This was not the case tonight. Our Tandoori Grill platter was missing the fish (which is promised along with the lamb and chicken and shrimp on the menu), and lacked zing. Our Kadai curry with lamb also tasted sort of bland. I also found the accompanying rice to lack flavour, which I found immensely disappointing. I did enjoy trying the meetha paratha (a sweet bread layered with honey), which was a bit chewy in texture but a nice sweet compliment to the spicy meat, and the garlic naan was good, too. However, as a whole, my very huge hunger was not well satiated by the meal we had ordered.

So, based on tonight's experience, I would NOT advise that anyone try ordering New Asian Village's fare via Dial-and-Dine, who informed us (during one of our follow-up phone calls to locate our order) that the restaurant has been known to put phone orders as their lowest priority for filling, especially on busy nights. Maybe if we ever decide to head to the restaurant again to try their fare, I will provide a more glowing recommendation. However, for now, I am not too eager to eat at this Indian restaurant again any time soon.

Rating: 6 / 10
Hubb's Rating: 10 / 10
(Obviously my hubby's tastes aren't as discriminating as mine! He rarely gives a bad review.)



No comments: