Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lift Bar & Grill - New Year's Eve


I should qualify this review by saying that it was NYE and so the menu was set for us in advance.  We had wanted to try Lift Bar & Grill out since we started doing walks in the Coal Harbour area, but were never afforded an opportunity until this particular evening.

We showed up on time and were seated beside the window.  Right away our drink orders were taken (we had martinis) and then we got down to business: ordering. :)  The amusee bouche brought to us was so yummy: it was a quail egg on serrano ham with a green sauce (I think pea shoot).  
Next we were served appies: Hubbs and I both had the wild game consomme with ravioli.  It was the most delicate broth, and yet flavourful and satisfying.  It surprised me that I could feel so strongly about a soup!


Next came our second round of appies.  Hubbs ordered the Scallop St. Jacques, which he enjoyed (though he didn't elaborate on it much) and I had the quail and winter truffle terrine.  I'm not sure what the contents of the shooter glass were, but at the bottom of the glass there were two grapes, and the liquid in which they soaked was tasty and sweet and chilled.  I'm almost certain it was boozy too!



Of course we also asked for bread, which I had been consuming throughout this meal, between dishes.  Bad mistake.  I was also onto my second martini before my entree was served.  Second bad mistake.  In the end, I was too boozed up and too full to enjoy all of my organic bison dish.  The meat was flavourful and moist (an accomplishment considering that bison is oft more dry and easily overdone), though I found the sauce a bit salty.  Hubbs had Lobster Thermidore, and since he's a huge shellfish fan, he really couldn't go wrong with a full tail.  He cleaned his plate so I assume his meal was to his liking ;)




Finally dessert came round.  By now the booze effects had begun to fade and I was gaining my second wind for dessert.  Good thing, since their pot de creme trio was absolutely decadent.  I liked the slight tartness and light moussy texture of their raspberry creme as well as the rich full-bodied flavour of the coffee creme.  Hubbs' favourite was the pumpkin creme, the creamiest and sweetest of the three.


By the time the champagne came round I was full again, and reluctant to resubmit my body to the ravages of alcohol.  Hubbs was left drinking the majority of both flutes, but I think he didn't mind too much.  The lovely folks at Lift even brought us noisemakers and hats for the countdown, which I thought was a nice touch.

Overall, I think we rang in the New Year well.  The food was very tasty and generously portioned (well, individual dishes were appropriately portioned but when you add in the bread and the sheer number of courses, that's where the abundance comes in), and servers were present but unobtrusive.  The restaurant was quite lively while we were there, but perhaps it was not at capacity, since the noise levels remained moderate throughout the evening.  Sure, the restaurant set us back a few $$$ but hey, it was NYE and you can't complain if you leave with your belly full and a smile on your face!

Service: 4 / 5
Food: 4.5 / 5


No comments: