Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Accents Restaurant


Okay, so we tried this place back in early December on the recommendation of my uncle.  My sis, my bro-in-law, Hubbs and I had heard good things about the place based on previous dining experiences of my uncle and aunt.  Well, I can definitely say that Accents is the worst restaurant we've tried in Van so far, and I'm pretty sure it will remain so for a long long time.

Here is Hubbs' review of the place (with some edits from me):

*****
Sincerely, the second worst restaurant I have ever been to
I went to Accents last Saturday and sincerely, this place was terrible enough to warrant my posting about it to warn others, especially given some of the other "positive" reviews out there (which we suspect to be written by restaurant staff and people with deadened taste buds).

First of all, we arrived and were initially seated at a table with ripped, dingy chair covers. Sincerely, two of them were stained all over the back of the chair or the seat while all 6 had rips and tears in the chair cover fabric. Now, this is a little iffy but I'm willing to forgive it if the food and service are good. However, both were absolutely *terrible*.

Someone in a review had mentioned the "diverse menu selection". Another person noticed that the lights flicker on and off every so often, like they are microwaving food. Allow me to tie this all together here because our party of 6 noticed the brownouts, and then we noticed that:

* all of our food was scorchingly hot in temperature, and it felt like these dishes had been recently microwaved
* all of our desserts had freezer burn on them and tasted rancid

For those who were saying, "I don't know what you were expecting, but you got a great meal", no, I actually didn't. And I didn't get any value for it either. Here are some highlights of the experience aside from what I have listed:

* horrifically long wait times - we waited 20 minutes just to get a drink order, an *hour* to get appetizers (and let's be real here, for the quality of food I received it shouldn't take an hour), and another hour to get our main course!  It took us over 3.5 hours to receive our 3-course meals and the bill.  
* terrible service - not only were the servers poorly dressed in ratty, untucked polo shirts sporting large spills and stains, but several of their staff were also very rude and unaccommodating.  When asked if we could be relocated from our ratty table near the door to one in the dining area, we were informed that they were too busy to bother clearing up the emptied tables in order to get us moved.
* dry meat (think jerky), bland flavouring, soggy entrees
* freezer-burned desserts
* a dirty, dingy environment
* mistakes made on orders; we were expecting cheese gnocchi with our duck orders and instead got potatoes. Wouldn't be so bad except when we asked our waitress about the cheese gnocchi, she insisted the cut potato pieces *were* gnocchi, *then* said that there never was gnocchi on that dish and ran off to get a menu to prove it. When she then discovered her mistake she walked off! Some other guy server ended up having to come to our table to apologize! I don't care how much "value" I am getting at a restaurant, it doesn't excuse rude or abrasive behavior. 

I'm sorry, but there are *hundreds* of wonderful restauarants of varying prices in Vancouver - it's a wonderful city for that. I never thought I would have the second worst dining experience of my life here. I sincerely post this so that you don't make the same tragic mistake we did when we thought this place would be decent.


*****
It's Hubbs' 2nd worst of all time.  It's probably my second worst as well, and definitely the worst in Vancouver.  Don't listen to the reviews that say that this place is any good, and do not be misled by their website; the place was probably good 6 years ago, but the downhill decline has been steep.  Avoid Accents and find a real European restaurant.  The price may be cheaper here, but you'll get what you pay for, and even less!  You've been warned.

Service: 1/5 (except the busboy - he gets 3/5 for working hard all night long)
Food: 0/5 


No comments: