Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Huong Que Pho Restaurant

On the insistence of Mrs. Vinny and Vanilla Con, Hubbs and I went to Huong Que Pho Restaurant to see if their pho lived up to the hype. Keeping in mind that we only had the beef rice noodle soup a few days ago, we figured that only the reputedly "best pho in the city" would make us want it again so soon.

The place is located in Chinatown, which means that prices are often more than reasonable, but the location usually sucks. True to form, the "shops" near the restaurant were all run-down and vacant, and the neighborhood of the place was sketchy at best. When we walked in, there was nobody at the till and we had to wait for a bit before the server lady came out to give us menus and a place to sit.

The pastel green walls and salmon pink tabletops were an interesting combination to be sure; as a whole the place was clean (for an Asian Chinatown eatery) and relatively quiet and pleasant, although tacky in terms of the furnishings. A TV and DVD player set on a platform in one corner of the room loudly played a Cantonese serial with Vietnamese dubbing while we sat waiting for our food.

We ordered their house special pho, and the server lady brought out tea for us automatically. We were a little hesitant about the teacups, though; they were of the Chinese variety but all the design had faded off the sides and they looked a little dirty (though I think they were clean and just speckled). Then the server lady brought out some sprouts and mint leaves for us (and yes, Mrs. Vinny, these tasted like mint leaves), but we didn't actually have any.

When the pho arrived, the first thing that I noticed was the scarcity of meat in my bowl. I had one beef ball, a couple of slices of raw beef (it looked like about 4 thin ones), and about 3 thin slices of beef brisket. There was also some shredded tripe in between the layers of meat, but that I assumed to be no more than about 2 tablespoons' worth. This was noticeably less meat than what I had in my pho at Doan's (2 beef balls, too many slices of beef brisket to count, and equally many slices of raw beef), and since I was particularly hungry during this meal, it was a tad disappointing. The broth, as promised, was delicious and tasted homemade, but generally speaking I found their pho to be less filling and less satisfying than the pho I had earlier in the week.

The bill was an affordable $14.45 for two orders, but once again, I believe that this was quite comparable to the prices charged at Doan's for the same thing.

Overall, if you are downtown in Chinatown and have a craving for pho, Huong Que is a decent place to go for some homemade goodness. However, if you're closer to the southside or have a few extra minutes to spare, I would advise driving down to Doan's for their pho instead. For nearly the same price, you get a lot more meat and certainly a safer environment (Doan's is located beside a police station), and it's quieter there, too - that is, unless you *want* to watch that Canto-dubbed-Vietnamese serial.

Rating: 7 / 10



2 comments:

Vanilla Con said...

I say this place is way better than Doan's...Doan's to me seems a bit westernized, though I'm sure their pho is decent as well.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Come with me to Doan's one day, VC - and I will show you a whole new world of meaty pho!