Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Doan's Vietnamese - South Side

Yes, I realize I have been a blogging delinquent here. Truth is, we have been eating out (or ordering in), but mostly we have been unadventurous and have stuck with our favourite places.

However, I did manage to go to Doan's Vietnamese Restaurant twice in the past few weeks. Why twice? It was that good, and I had me a hankerin' for pho (beef rice noodle soup).

So about Doan's - they are a pretty casual eatery, clean and spacious and comfortable. The decor is a nice mix of booths and tables, and they even have the 8-person cubbie-style booths for larger groups.

Service, as we experienced, has been efficient, prompt, and curious. Rather than your typical server-per-table style, they serve tables on an as-needed basis; the servers don't ignore you if you are not their table, but instead they help whichever table happens to need to place an ord
er or get the bill or get more ice water (which is automatically brought out to you upon arrival).

Both times that we visited Doan's together, Hubbs and I ordered the half-order of salad rolls, and the second time Hubbs also got some steamed scallops to start. The salad rolls were decent, although smaller than at other Vietnamese places in town, and also conspicuously lacking in lemongrass within the roll. I assume that this is to cater to the less-Asian population that frequents Doan's, but was nonetheless a little annoyed at having to peel my own lemongrass leaves (from the plate of bean sprouts, lemongrass, and sauces that was brought out when we arrived) to add to my rolls. The scallops were light and not terribly tasty, but acceptable.


I then ordered my pho, but not just any pho; I ordered the house special, which came with many slices of raw beef, beef brisket, and beef balls in a broth of onions and spices. The rice noodles were perfectly al dente, and the raw beef was appropriately raw. The beef brisket, though marbled with bits of fat, tasted absolutely amazing and I was truly stuffed before I could even finish half of my noodles (although I wanted to eat on, because it tasted so darn good!).

The best part was that our meal was enjoyed in a quiet atmosphere, for although Doan's is a rather large place, it has not been packed at
the times when we've gone, and somehow the sound has been muted (either by quiet patrons or by really good sound-absorbing walls and booths). Regardless, we enjoyed our meal in peace and were pleasantly surprised by the affordability of our delicious, filling fare. The total of our two half-order appetizers and our two pho came to a mere $30!

Some argue that Doan's is the best Vietnamese food in town, but I cannot yet vouch for that given that my exposure to Vietnamese restaurants has been limited, and I'm told there is an even better pho place downtown (in the heart of Chinatown, across from Lucky 97). However, I highly recommend Doan's to anyone who wants an affordable, quiet, tasty meal on a cold wintery day; it's come-as-you-are, and you definitely won't regret your visit!

Rating: 8.5 / 10


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Doan's in probably a decade because it started sucking big time.

But for authentic, delicious beyond belief pho, you MUST go to Huong Que. I can't even eat pho at any other place because they pale so poorly in comparison...except Tau Bay (which only makes pho), but my hubby begs to differ.

Huong Que makes their broth from scratch, rather than the nasty instant powder every other Vietnamese restaurants use. Once you have pho at Huong Que, you'll never be satisfied by cheap pho broth again. (I just about gagged eating pho at Pagolac! I didn't even eat more than a couple of bites, I was so distraught.)

I can't say enough about Huong Que. You'll just have to go.

As for salad rolls, no restaurant in Edmonton serves them with mint leaves (not lemongrass - grasses don't have "leaves") anymore.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Those were mint leaves? They totally didn't taste like mint at all! Hrm...suspect.

I have plans to go to Huong Que sometime soon (although now with the news of the homemade broth, I am particularly intrigued), and I would never have pho at Pagolac (but thanks for the warning!).

You will have the bestest food ever on your Southeast Asia tour. Lucky lucky you. =P

Anonymous said...

There's different kinds of mint leaves, each with a distinct flavour.

I'm soooo looking forward to eating my way through SE Asia!!!

BionicBuddha said...

That soup looks wonderful...I'll try Doan's. Pho my money, they sound like they can fix a great bowl of vietnemese soup!




www.bionicbuddha.com