Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Bee Kim Heng

(Image borrowed from mydinnertable.typepad.com - thank you!)

Thanks to my sister Vanilla Con (or Congee, as I fondly call her), we discovered the awesomeness that is Singapore pork and beef jerky.  The best in the city is found at Bee Kim Heng, a dirty, sketchy, cash-only place located in an equally sketchy neighbourhood on Fraser St.

The store is nothing to write home about, unless you write home about scary dirty things.  However, once you get over the setting and place your order (sold in half or full pound portions in either beef or pork, sweet or spicy), the nice lady behind the busted counter disappears into the back room (which I will never want to know about, since it might ruin my otherwise-healthy appetite for this jerky), and comes back with these vacuum-sealed, labelled packages of decadent smoked meat.

This is my addiction - jerky.  I swear, it's the greasiest stuff, even though the meat is dry.  For some reason, the moment I touch even the smallest piece of jerky, my hand will reek of grease for the next hour (even with lots of scrubbing with scented antibacterial soap).  Looking past the smelly greasy hands however, I find myself endlessly devouring this chewy, flavourful meat.  It's not like western jerky, which is stringy and dry.  This stuff comes in sheets, and it is quite moist despite being jerkified.  I can't figure it out.

It's good though.  I can eat about a pound of the sweet pork jerky in 2 days.  My jaw will ache afterwards for another day, and my gums will hurt from wherever bits of jerky have embedded themselves into my oral flesh.  Even so, I cannot stop eating this stuff.  It's delightful and delicious and worth the $19/lb.

Go, but don't blame me if you get addicted.

Service: 3 / 5
Food: 5 / 5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummm...jerky...thankfully I still have a small "inventory" of jerky at home!

Aura said...

Visited them cause saw them on Dragon's Den. Great jerky. Owner was nice and let us try a sample. I liked both pork & beef. Both plain and spicy flavours were delicious. Meat is not dry nor rubbery. Reminds me of the fresh jerky shops in Hong Kong where you can buy them super fresh and hot off the grill.

Wish they also make chicken and turkey jerky.

Joy@SL Aluminium said...

This place is amazing! We saw it randomly on a recent visit to Vancouver and are so happy we popped in. The storefront features two women preparing jerky in the window, and when you walk in you see a flat panel screen with the current offerings of Beef and Pork jerky done Singaporean style.

Windy@Ramonage4Saisons said...

Indeed!!