Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Crime Lab


Hubbs &  I are big big C.S.I. fans, so a restaurant called the Crime Lab obviously caught our attention.  N & A generously took us out for dinner a few nights ago so that our curiosity about the place could be satisfied.

We arrived sans reso, and it looked like they were quite busy.  We did manage to get seated anyway, at a booth/table that was close to the patio.  We really should've sat on the patio, though, since it was heated and the patio chairs had blankets on them for patrons to use. Anyway, we ordered our drinks and meals and then the wait began.  At one point my server returned to tell me that they had run out of pork loin chops, so I had to rechoose my entree.  I wasn't thrilled with having to go with Plan B.

Maybe it was because it was a Sunday night, but the restaurant was incredibly busy.  We had to wait quite a while for our food, and then our order got messed up so that A & I got our meals about 10 min. before Hubbs & N got theirs.  The staff there obviously felt bad about the mess-up, though, because they generously offered the table a complimentary round of drinks *and* an appy of yam fries!  I love when serve staff are thoughtful that way.

When our meals arrived we dove in.  My free range chicken breast was alright; the drumstick that they left on was my favourite part and the skin was broiled to a wonderful crisp, but the white meat tended towards being a bit dry.  My risotto was awesome though, and sufficiently cheesy to be tasty without being super heavy.  Hubbs loved his seafood linguine with dill cream sauce, daring even to compare it with his mother's linguine with clam sauce.  I think that both N and A also enjoyed their meals, although they were both feeling fatigued and N was under the weather so maybe this affected their dining experience.  The free round of drinks were great though :)

Overall, the service was good (esp. since they gave us freebies) and friendly and appropriately apologetic, and the food was good.  Prices were also reasonable, and servings were adequately sized.

I would probably head back to the Crime Lab again, though perhaps not for a while, since I think there are probably many other restaurants in Van of comparable food quality and pricing.  The next time I do go, however, I'll probably aim to sit on the patio; it looks over Coal Harbour so the views are pretty rad. :)


Service: 4 out of 5

Food: 3.5 out of 5  (Hubbs gives it a 4/5)




No comments: