Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hardware Grill

Sorry for the lack of posting as of late. I won't post unless I've been somewhere new or interesting, and in the last two months I've been a creature of habit and returning to the same haunts for dining each time.

That is, until now.


On Friday night, sans reservation, Hubbs and I decided to go out for a celebratory dinner (he kicked arse at a project at his job, which earned him much accolade and support from his peers). We tried our usual favourites but they were full, so we decided to kick things up a notch and go classy, Hardware Grill style.


We didn't actually expect to get a table; it was 7:30 p.m. and a Friday night. However, we were pleasantly surprised that the restaurant had a spot for us immediately. Our next question: could we dine there even though we were wearing jeans (and a nice top)? Yes, absolutely was the response.

We were led to a very cozy half-moon-shaped booth, and the host pulled out the table so that Hubbs and I could sit down. Then he moved our table back into position so that we could eat properly. I had a chance to sit and appreciate the ambience: classy, but not pretentious, upscale, but not awkwardly so. The music was jazzy (always a plus!), and conversations could take place in whispers and everyone would still be able to hear each other, for the noise level here was not raucous at all, but rather politely quiet and comfortable on the ears.

Service from our maitre'd came quickly, and Hubbs ordered himself a Caesar, which turned out to be perfectly seasoned (rivaling the one at LUX that he loves so much). I ordered a glass of gewurztraminer (I don't even remember where it was from, but it was the only G on the menu that was sold by the glass) and it was truly the best wine I've ever had, hands down - smooth, sweet, mild, fruity, and completely light.

We both had fantastic appetizers to start, with Hubbs getting the lobster risotto which was creamy and flavourful, and I ordering the pan-seared foie gras, which was absolutely decadent, perfectly prepared (crispy on the outside, melts in your mouth on the inside), and satisfied my foie gras craving.

Our apps came in a timely fashion, as did our entrees: lamb rib eye wrapped with ground beef short-rib and foie gras, and a crusted halibut with potato crepes for Hubbs. I loved the lamb ravioli that accompanied my dish, and the lamb rib eye was terrifically tender and spectacular. I didn't as much enjoy the short-rib/foie gras combination, but that was only because I am a purist when it comes to foie gras. Hubbs ate everything on his plate, and so it seems he too, thought his meal to be absolutely incredible.

By the time we had polished off our apps and entrees, we were stuffed to the point of not even being able to admire their dessert menu. Oh, how we would have loved to try their version of creme brulee, or sink our teeth into the sweet gooey goodness of a molten chocolate cake! Alas, we were too full to even think of it.

I was so impressed with the service, the food, and the atmosphere of the Hardware Grill that I daresay it has earned its way into top spot as my favourite western-dining restaurant. If you love to have great wine, fantastic conversations, and delectable food in a classy, but comfortable, environment, this is totally the place to go. I'll be back for sure, maybe for my engagement anniversary! ;)

Rating: 10 / 10

Hubbs' Rating: 10 / 10

1 comment:

DS Classic Grill said...

Hey! Nice information shared about the restaurant and food range. I really liked it. You can also opt for Edmonton restaurants Southside for healthy and specialized food range.