Sunday, May 20, 2007

Simply Sublime Guacamole

As you know, I'm not much of a cook. In fact, as much as possible I avoid cooking, not because I hate it (I actually really enjoy it) but because I refuse to waste perfectly good ingredients that, when I'm done with them, turn into something only half-edible; I'm practical that way ;)

That said, I have found the best, simple guacamole recipe EVER. I wish I could take credit for it, but the truth is that it comes from this foodie, and true to form, it is a fantastic recipe. I've tweaked it some for my tastes, and here is my modified version:

3 avocadoes, ripe
3/4 lemon
2-6 cloves of garlic (I usually use 4 good-sized ones)
1/3 large white onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
Tabasco sauce
salt

1. De-pit and mash up ripe avocados.
2. Crush garlic cloves into the avocado mush.
3. Squeeze the juice of 3/4 a lemon into the avocado/garlic mush. Mix well until the mush is smooth.
4. Add chopped onion and tomato to the mix and blend it together.
5. Add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce. Add salt to taste; some of the salt gets absorbed by the avocado and onion and tomato so if you oversalt it a little you're still OK.
6. Mix into the guacamole.
7. Cover and chill it for 2+ hours, so that the garlic flavour absorbs into the mix.
8. Enjoy! This recipe yields about 2 cups of guacamole.

My Hubbs loves this recipe and he usually finishes the whole bowl in a day (and then reeks of garlic for about 24 hours following his guacamole feast). It's easy enough for me to even prepare, and it tastes fantastic!

Hope you enjoy it as much as Hubbs does ;)


No comments: